Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I am so not technically inclined

So during a shopping trip with Shortie today, I finally got a Kindle.  The store we went to had some older ones on clearance, but as luck would have it, they had sold out.  I wasn't too upset as the one I had been looking for was only $10 less than the newer model I got.  I didn't even think there were more of those available anyway. 

So I get home with this, and open it up.  Then I had to have Shortie show me how to turn the damn thing on.  Yup, this thing came with very little instructions.  Don't they realize that not all of us know what the hell we are doing?  Obviously not.

I don't have wireless here, basic router with wires on the ceiling so Shortie can have internet in her room.  And of course, this blasted thing wants you to hook up to wireless.  WTF, they obviously think everyone has wireless routers.  So I hook it up to the laptop, and this screen pops up telling me to not unplug it but to eject it. 

What?  So now I have to go online and figure out what Kindle support says.  I wish there was the section in there that actually told me what to do, but the only section I found for setup wanted you to hook up to wireless.  And, the thing turned off and won't turn on again.  Jeez, I'm batting a thousand at this point, and getting seriously frustrated.  Where is The Boy when you need him.  He's at his grandparents, torturing them for a few weeks.  So I finally find a spot where to talk to a real person at customer support.

Here's how the conversation went:

Me:  I can't get this thing to turn back on so I can download my books I have on my laptop.
CS:  Well you need wireless to register it and to set it up.
Me:  I don't have wireless, and I can't get it to turn on, but there is a light on it.  (It was plugged in to the laptop still at this point.)
CS:  What color is the light?
Me:  Yellow
CS:  Ok, hold the power button and it should turn on?
Me:  Didn't do it.
CS:  Push it in now and I'll tell you when to let go.
Me:  Ok worked.  Now how do I get the stuff off my laptop.
CS:  Well, you really need wireless.  You could go to anyplace that is a wireless hotspot and finish this up.  Or, you can log into Amazon and do it thru the site.

Ok, that worked.  And he talked me how to transfer my books, but that is going to take forever doing that one at a time.  But if I take this beastie to work, I apparently can do the download there, as we have wireless.

They really need to have the Kindle for dummies instruction manual that will help those of us who aren't technical and don't have wireless.  If you give me an actual instruction book, I usually can figure it out, if not I call my brother.  He is the family geek squad, very computer friendly he is.

Of course, Shortie laughed at me when I had to have her read off the serial number for me.  I'm sorry, I'm blind.  Ok not totally blind, but I'm waiting for my new glasses which should be here next week.  I broke the old pair stepping on them on Christmas Eve, and they don't like to be stepped on.  Why does everything, that needs you to use the serial number to register them, make those numbers so small you almost need a damned microscope to read them?  Is it just me, or is the print on things just get smaller and smaller?

Oh well, at least I finally have one, which will be good as I won't have to lug books to Norwescon this year.

Speaking of Norwescon, Shortie is so excited that we have less than 3 weeks to go.  She actually starts the count down as soon as we leave it every year.  I think she almost gets more excited about that than the holidays.  And thank god her costumes started showing up today.

Maybe she'd be more excited about the holidays if I had one of those Elf on the Shelf thingys....

No comments:

Post a Comment